1365 West Foothill Boulevard Suite 2
Upland, CA 91786
Phone: (909) 920-0908
Call Today (909) 920-0908

We provide legal services
in the following areas

Law Offices of Torrence L. Howell - Providing Over 20 Years of Industry Leading Experience in Family Law, Business Law and Criminal Law
Area of Practices

What happens if a parent does not pay court-ordered child support?

Just because a court orders child support, it does not mean the other party will pay. The Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984 was put in place to allow district attorneys to help collect court-ordered child support from a parent who does not pay. The process typically begins with the DA sending the party at fault papers, requiring them to meet and discuss payment arrangements. If they still will not pay, the district attorney can withhold federal tax refunds, garnish wages, seize property, or revoke their driver’s license. In some cases, the U.S. Department of State can also deny a passport to someone that owes more than $2,500 in child support. If the parent still refuses to pay even after these measures are enacted, the court can hold the parent in contempt of court and impose a jail sentence. This method is typically only used in extreme circumstances.


Case Evaluation

Tell us about your case.

default image

My ex-wife hired an attorney which prompted me to do so for our divorce. Torrence Howell was highly recommended from a friend of mine who used Torrence’s services for a divorce just like mine. The results came out much better than he ever thought it would. With all things being equal I felt Torrence would

-Anonymous May 23, 2018

Google Plus Facebook Avvo