Get expert advice about support payments from your alimony lawyer in Alta Loma CA.
Alimony orders are most often included as part of a divorce or separation agreement. However, alimony may also be ordered in cases where a domestic violence restraining order has been issued. No matter what circumstances may confront you, you can rest assured that Torrence L. Howell can help. Torrence L. Howell has been practicing family law since 1995. He understands what you’re going through, and as your alimony lawyer in Alta Loma CA he will do everything in his power to make the process easier, faster, and fairer.
How Much is Enough When it Comes to Alimony?
During a contentious divorce or separation, exes sometimes try to use money against one another. This includes alimony payments. One spouse will probably ask for too much and the other will want to pay too little or nothing at all. For an objective idea of what amount of alimony to expect, let your alimony in Alta Loma CA come up with a figure based on the following factors that the court will consider when setting alimony:
- How long the couple was married
- The income or earning capacity of each person
- The age and health of each person
- The standard of living shared during the marriage
- Childcare responsibilities of the supported partner
- Any history of domestic violence
Alimony Doesn’t Have to Last Forever
It is important to understand that a “permanent” alimony order doesn’t necessarily last forever. The term permanent just means that it is the court’s final order. There are actually 3 different kinds of permanent alimony orders that may be issued:
- Transitional Alimony: May be awarded when the supported partner needs a one-time payment to help them move, buy a new car, or complete some other task that will enable them to transition to a separate household.
- Rehabilitative Alimony: Monthly payments give for a set number of years and designed to allow the supported spouse the ability to pursue education or training that will allow them to eventually support themselves at a level comparable to that enjoyed during the marriage.
- Lifetime Alimony: Monthly support payments awarded for the lifetime of the paying spouse or until the supported spouse remarries. Typically only offered when spouses were married more than 10 years.
Whether you are the spouse paying support or the one receiving it, your alimony lawyer in Alta Loma CA will work hard to ensure you receive a fair and appropriate order.
Need Alimony Modifications? Your Alimony Lawyer in Alta Loma CA Can Help
Even if you have been ordered to pay alimony for a long period of time, the amount may not be set in stone. When circumstances merit, you can petition for an alimony modification to ensure the order remains fair as years go by. If you believe an alimony modification is in order, ask your alimony lawyer in Alta Loma CA right away. Your lawyer can help you make strong case for the modification and file the modification petition for you.
Fight for Fair Alimony with Help from Torrence L. Howell
Are you ready to stand up for your right to a fair alimony agreement? Torrence L. Howell will do everything in your power to support you as your alimony lawyer in Alta Loma CA. Please call (909) 920-0908 now to schedule a free initial consultation and learn more.