Get expert advice about support payments from your alimony lawyer in Corona CA.
Alimony orders are most often included as part of a divorce or separation agreement. However, alimony may also be ordered in cases where a domestic violence restraining order has been issued. Whatever circumstances may have led to your concerns about alimony, you can get help from Torrence L. Howell. In addition to being an experienced alimony lawyer in Corona CA, Torrence L. Howell also has a detailed understanding of all the family law issues that can go along with and inform alimony issues. He will work hard to make sure your alimony agreement is fair.
How Much is Enough When it Comes to Alimony?
Emotions can run high during a divorce or separation, and sometimes this can lead people to push for unfair alimony amounts. Instead of relying on your own judgement or your ex’s as to what amount of alimony would be fair, consult an alimony attorney in Corona CA. Your attorney can help you understand the factors the court will look at when setting alimony and how these will impact the alimony amount. These factors include:
- How long the couple was married
- The income or earning capacity of each person
- The age and health of each person
- The standard of living shared during the marriage
- Childcare responsibilities of the supported partner
- Any history of domestic violence
Alimony Doesn’t Have to Last Forever
Although the court’s final alimony order is known as “permanent” alimony, few orders actually specify lifetime alimony. There are actually 3 different kinds of permanent alimony orders that may be issued:
- Transitional Alimony: A one-time alimony payment commonly used to cover a big expense like moving or a new vehicle for the supported spouse.
- Rehabilitative Alimony: Monthly payments awarded for a set period of time (typically up to half the length of the marriage) to allow a partner to develop marketable skills and become self-supporting.
- Lifetime Alimony: If spouses were married 10 years or more, truly permanent alimony may be ordered. Monthly payments will continue until the supported spouse remarries or the spouse paying support passes away.
Whichever side of the alimony equation you may be on, you will need a dedicated alimony lawyer in Corona CA on your side to make sure the facts of the case are presented correctly and your receive a fair and appropriate alimony order.
Need Alimony Modifications? Your Alimony Lawyer in Corona CA Can Help
When circumstances merit, you can petition for an alimony modification to ensure the order remains fair as years go by. Your alimony lawyer in Corona CA can help you understand when modifications may be in order and file the necessary paperwork for you.
Fight for Fair Alimony with Help from Torrence L. Howell
If you’re ready to fight for your right to a fair alimony agreement, it’s time to get Torrence L. Howell on your side as your alimony lawyer in Corona CA. Please call (909) 920-0908 now to schedule a free initial consultation and learn more.