Get expert advice about support payments from your alimony lawyer in Diamond Bar CA.
When a legal marriage or domestic partnership ends, or when a domestic violence restraining order is issued to protect one party from the other, an alimony order will typically be included. Whatever circumstances may have led to your concerns about alimony, you can get help from Torrence L. Howell. In addition to being an experienced alimony lawyer in Diamond Bar CA, Torrence L. Howell also has a detailed understanding of all the family law issues that can go along with and inform alimony issues. He will work hard to make sure your alimony agreement is fair.
How Much is Enough When it Comes to Alimony?
Unfortunately, there is sometimes a tendency for exes to ask for outrageous amounts of alimony out of spite towards their former partner. This only serves to increase tensions and draw out the legal process even further. Instead of relying on your own judgement or your ex’s as to what amount of alimony would be fair, consult an alimony in Diamond Bar CA. Your attorney can help you understand the factors the court will look at when setting alimony and how these will impact the alimony amount. These factors include:
- How long the couple was married
- The income or earning capacity of each person
- The age and health of each person
- The standard of living shared during the marriage
- Childcare responsibilities of the supported partner
- Any history of domestic violence
Alimony Doesn’t Have to Last Forever
It is important to understand that a “permanent” alimony order doesn’t necessarily last forever. The term permanent just means that it is the court’s final order. There are actually 3 different kinds of permanent alimony orders that may be issued:
- Transitional Alimony: A one-time payment to help the supported spouse with a specific activity related to independence like moving or buying a new car.
- Rehabilitative Alimony: Monthly payments awarded for a set period of time (typically up to half the length of the marriage) to allow a partner to develop marketable skills and become self-supporting.
- Lifetime Alimony: If spouses were married 10 years or more, truly permanent alimony may be ordered. Monthly payments will continue until the supported spouse remarries or the spouse paying support passes away.
Whether you are the spouse paying support or the one receiving it, your alimony lawyer in Diamond Bar CA will work hard to ensure you receive a fair and appropriate order.
Need Alimony Modifications? Your Alimony Lawyer in Diamond Bar CA Can Help
Even in cases where lifetime alimony is ordered, there may be opportunity to revise the order to reflect changing support needs. Your alimony lawyer in Diamond Bar CA can help you understand when modifications may be in order and file the necessary paperwork for you.
Fight for Fair Alimony with Help from Torrence L. Howell
Are you ready to stand up for your right to a fair alimony agreement? Torrence L. Howell will do everything in your power to support you as your alimony lawyer in Diamond Bar CA. Please call (909) 920-0908 now to schedule a free initial consultation and learn more.