Get expert advice about support payments from your alimony lawyer in Etiwanda CA.
Alimony orders are most often included as part of a divorce or separation agreement. However, alimony may also be ordered in cases where a domestic violence restraining order has been issued. Whatever circumstances may have led to your concerns about alimony, you can get help from Torrence L. Howell. Torrence L. Howell has been practicing family law since 1995. He understands what you’re going through, and as your alimony lawyer in Etiwanda CA he will do everything in his power to make the process easier, faster, and fairer.
How Much is Enough When it Comes to Alimony?
Emotions can run high during a divorce or separation, and sometimes this can lead people to push for unfair alimony amounts. For an objective idea of what amount of alimony to expect, let your alimony attorney in Etiwanda CA come up with a figure based on the following factors that the court will consider when setting alimony:
- How long the couple was married
- The income or earning capacity of each person
- The age and health of each person
- The standard of living shared during the marriage
- Childcare responsibilities of the supported partner
- Any history of domestic violence
Alimony Doesn’t Have to Last Forever
The court is going to grant a “permanent” alimony order, but this doesn’t necessarily mean payments will continue indefinitely. There are actually 3 different kinds of permanent alimony orders that may be issued:
- Transitional Alimony: A one-time alimony payment commonly used to cover a big expense like moving or a new vehicle for the supported spouse.
- Rehabilitative Alimony: Monthly payments give for a set number of years and designed to allow the supported spouse the ability to pursue education or training that will allow them to eventually support themselves at a level comparable to that enjoyed during the marriage.
- Lifetime Alimony: If spouses were married 10 years or more, truly permanent alimony may be ordered. Monthly payments will continue until the supported spouse remarries or the spouse paying support passes away.
Whether you are the spouse paying support or the one receiving it, your alimony lawyer in Etiwanda CA will work hard to ensure you receive a fair and appropriate order.
Need Alimony Modifications? Your Alimony Lawyer in Etiwanda CA Can Help
Alimony orders can be changed when necessary, to reflect new financial realities in either party’s life. If you believe an alimony modification is in order, ask your alimony lawyer in Etiwanda CA right away. Your lawyer can help you make strong case for the modification and file the modification petition for you.
Fight for Fair Alimony with Help from Torrence L. Howell
If you’re ready to fight for your right to a fair alimony agreement, it’s time to get Torrence L. Howell on your side as your alimony lawyer in Etiwanda CA. You can learn more about Attorney Howell by calling (909) 920-0908 to set up a free initial consultation.