Get expert advice about support payments from your alimony lawyer in La Verne CA.
The most common scenario in which alimony may be required is when a couple becomes divorced or legally separated, but alimony may also come into play in domestic violence cases. Regardless of the reason you are now concerned about alimony, you can turn to Torrence L. Howell for help. Torrence L. Howell has been practicing family law since 1995. He understands what you’re going through, and as your alimony lawyer in La Verne CA he will do everything in his power to make the process easier, faster, and fairer.
How Much is Enough When it Comes to Alimony?
Unfortunately, there is sometimes a tendency for exes to ask for outrageous amounts of alimony out of spite towards their former partner. This only serves to increase tensions and draw out the legal process even further. For an objective idea of what amount of alimony to expect, let your alimony attorney in La Verne CA come up with a figure based on the following factors that the court will consider when setting alimony:
- How long the couple was married
- The income or earning capacity of each person
- The age and health of each person
- The standard of living shared during the marriage
- Childcare responsibilities of the supported partner
- Any history of domestic violence
Alimony Doesn’t Have to Last Forever
It is important to understand that a “permanent” alimony order doesn’t necessarily last forever. The term permanent just means that it is the court’s final order. There are actually 3 different kinds of permanent alimony orders that may be issued:
- Transitional Alimony: A one-time payment to help the supported spouse with a specific activity related to independence like moving or buying a new car.
- Rehabilitative Alimony: Recurring alimony payments will be required for the period of time the court deems sufficient for the supported spouse to re-enter the job market and become self-supporting.
- Lifetime Alimony: If spouses were married 10 years or more, truly permanent alimony may be ordered. Monthly payments will continue until the supported spouse remarries or the spouse paying support passes away.
Whichever side of the alimony equation you may be on, you will need a dedicated alimony lawyer in La Verne CA on your side to make sure the facts of the case are presented correctly and your receive a fair and appropriate alimony order.
Need Alimony Modifications? Your Alimony Lawyer in La Verne CA Can Help
Even in cases where lifetime alimony is ordered, there may be opportunity to revise the order to reflect changing support needs. If you believe an alimony modification is in order, ask your alimony lawyer in La Verne CA right away. Your lawyer can help you make strong case for the modification and file the modification petition for you.
Fight for Fair Alimony with Help from Torrence L. Howell
If you’re ready to fight for your right to a fair alimony agreement, it’s time to get Torrence L. Howell on your side as your alimony lawyer in La Verne CA. Please call (909) 920-0908 now to schedule a free initial consultation and learn more.