Get expert advice about support payments from your alimony lawyer in Norco CA.
When a legal marriage or domestic partnership ends, or when a domestic violence restraining order is issued to protect one party from the other, an alimony order will typically be included. No matter what circumstances may confront you, you can rest assured that Torrence L. Howell can help. As an alimony lawyer in Norco CA that also has extensive experience in all kinds of family law issues, he can use all the strategies at his disposal to make sure you get the fairest possible support order in even the most complicated case.
How Much is Enough When it Comes to Alimony?
During a contentious divorce or separation, exes sometimes try to use money against one another. This includes alimony payments. One spouse will probably ask for too much and the other will want to pay too little or nothing at all. For an objective idea of what amount of alimony to expect, let your alimony attorney in Norco CA come up with a figure based on the following factors that the court will consider when setting alimony:
- How long the couple was married
- The income or earning capacity of each person
- The age and health of each person
- The standard of living shared during the marriage
- Childcare responsibilities of the supported partner
- Any history of domestic violence
Alimony Doesn’t Have to Last Forever
It is important to understand that a “permanent” alimony order doesn’t necessarily last forever. The term permanent just means that it is the court’s final order. There are actually 3 different kinds of permanent alimony orders that may be issued:
- Transitional Alimony: A one-time payment to help the supported spouse with a specific activity related to independence like moving or buying a new car.
- Rehabilitative Alimony: Monthly payments give for a set number of years and designed to allow the supported spouse the ability to pursue education or training that will allow them to eventually support themselves at a level comparable to that enjoyed during the marriage.
- Lifetime Alimony: If spouses were married 10 years or more, truly permanent alimony may be ordered. Monthly payments will continue until the supported spouse remarries or the spouse paying support passes away.
Whether you are the spouse paying support or the one receiving it, your alimony lawyer in Norco CA will work hard to ensure you receive a fair and appropriate order.
Need Alimony Modifications? Your Alimony Lawyer in Norco CA Can Help
Even in cases where lifetime alimony is ordered, there may be opportunity to revise the order to reflect changing support needs. Your alimony lawyer in Norco CA can help you understand when modifications may be in order and file the necessary paperwork for you.
Fight for Fair Alimony with Help from Torrence L. Howell
If you want someone that will fight hard for a fair alimony agreement, you want Torrence L. Howell as your alimony lawyer in Norco CA. You can learn more about Attorney Howell by calling (909) 920-0908 to set up a free initial consultation.