Get expert advice about support payments from your alimony lawyer in San Dimas CA.
Alimony orders are most often included as part of a divorce or separation agreement. However, alimony may also be ordered in cases where a domestic violence restraining order has been issued. No matter what circumstances may confront you, you can rest assured that Torrence L. Howell can help. In addition to being an experienced alimony lawyer in San Dimas CA, Torrence L. Howell also has a detailed understanding of all the family law issues that can go along with and inform alimony issues. He will work hard to make sure your alimony agreement is fair.
How Much is Enough When it Comes to Alimony?
Unfortunately, there is sometimes a tendency for exes to ask for outrageous amounts of alimony out of spite towards their former partner. This only serves to increase tensions and draw out the legal process even further. Rather than coming up with an alimony amount on your own, trust your alimony attorney in San Dimas CA to advise you of what is fair and reasonable based on the factors the court will consider, including:
- How long the couple was married
- The income or earning capacity of each person
- The age and health of each person
- The standard of living shared during the marriage
- Childcare responsibilities of the supported partner
- Any history of domestic violence
Alimony Doesn’t Have to Last Forever
Although the court’s final alimony order is known as “permanent” alimony, few orders actually specify lifetime alimony. There are actually 3 different kinds of permanent alimony orders that may be issued:
- Transitional Alimony: A one-time alimony payment commonly used to cover a big expense like moving or a new vehicle for the supported spouse.
- Rehabilitative Alimony: Recurring alimony payments will be required for the period of time the court deems sufficient for the supported spouse to re-enter the job market and become self-supporting.
- Lifetime Alimony: If spouses were married 10 years or more, truly permanent alimony may be ordered. Monthly payments will continue until the supported spouse remarries or the spouse paying support passes away.
Whichever side of the alimony equation you may be on, you will need a dedicated alimony lawyer in San Dimas CA on your side to make sure the facts of the case are presented correctly and your receive a fair and appropriate alimony order.
Need Alimony Modifications? Your Alimony Lawyer in San Dimas CA Can Help
Even in cases where lifetime alimony is ordered, there may be opportunity to revise the order to reflect changing support needs. If you believe an alimony modification is in order, ask your alimony lawyer in San Dimas CA right away. Your lawyer can help you make strong case for the modification and file the modification petition for you.
Fight for Fair Alimony with Help from Torrence L. Howell
Are you ready to stand up for your right to a fair alimony agreement? Torrence L. Howell will do everything in your power to support you as your alimony lawyer in San Dimas CA. Please call (909) 920-0908 now to schedule a free initial consultation and learn more.