Get expert advice about support payments from your alimony lawyer in Upland CA.
Alimony orders are most often included as part of a divorce or separation agreement. However, alimony may also be ordered in cases where a domestic violence restraining order has been issued. No matter what circumstances may confront you, you can rest assured that Torrence L. Howell can help. Torrence L. Howell has been practicing family law since 1995. He understands what you’re going through, and as your alimony lawyer in Upland CA he will do everything in his power to make the process easier, faster, and fairer.
How Much is Enough When it Comes to Alimony?
Emotions can run high during a divorce or separation, and sometimes this can lead people to push for unfair alimony amounts. For an objective idea of what amount of alimony to expect, let your alimony attorney in Upland CA come up with a figure based on the following factors that the court will consider when setting alimony:
- How long the couple was married
- The income or earning capacity of each person
- The age and health of each person
- The standard of living shared during the marriage
- Childcare responsibilities of the supported partner
- Any history of domestic violence
Alimony Doesn’t Have to Last Forever
Although the court’s final alimony order is known as “permanent” alimony, few orders actually specify lifetime alimony. Depending on the circumstances, you may end up with one of the following three kinds of permanent alimony orders:
- Transitional Alimony: A one-time payment to help the supported spouse with a specific activity related to independence like moving or buying a new car.
- Rehabilitative Alimony: Monthly payments give for a set number of years and designed to allow the supported spouse the ability to pursue education or training that will allow them to eventually support themselves at a level comparable to that enjoyed during the marriage.
- Lifetime Alimony: If spouses were married 10 years or more, truly permanent alimony may be ordered. Monthly payments will continue until the supported spouse remarries or the spouse paying support passes away.
Whichever side of the alimony equation you may be on, you will need a dedicated alimony lawyer in Upland CA on your side to make sure the facts of the case are presented correctly and your receive a fair and appropriate alimony order.
Need Alimony Modifications? Your Alimony Lawyer in Upland CA Can Help
Even in cases where lifetime alimony is ordered, there may be opportunity to revise the order to reflect changing support needs. Your alimony lawyer in Upland CA can help you understand when modifications may be in order and file the necessary paperwork for you.
Fight for Fair Alimony with Help from Torrence L. Howell
If you want someone that will fight hard for a fair alimony agreement, you want Torrence L. Howell as your alimony lawyer in Upland CA. Please call (909) 920-0908 now to schedule a free initial consultation and learn more.