1365 West Foothill Boulevard Suite 2
Upland, CA 91786
Phone: (909) 920-0908
Call Today (909) 920-0908

We provide legal services
in the following areas

Law Offices of Torrence L. Howell - Providing Over 20 Years of Industry Leading Experience in Family Law, Business Law and Criminal Law
Area of Practices

How Can You Prove You Deserve More Parental Rights?

Learn how previously “unfit” parents can petition the court for increased contact with their kids.

How Can You Prove You Deserve More Parental Rights?In the state of California, the court makes custody and visitation orders based on what is proven to be in the best interests of the children. This is assumed to be frequent contact with both parents, unless some sort of extenuating circumstance applies and makes one of the parents “unfit” to have contact with their kids. Unfit parents are typically denied physical custody and may be given limited supervised visitation or no visitation at all.

If you have been denied custody or visitation on the grounds that you are unfit in some way, this isn’t necessarily a permanent defeat. If you can prove that you have changed your life for the better and are no longer unfit, Torrence L. Howell can help you petition for a modification to your child custody and visitation agreement that will allow you appropriate contact with your children.

Here are some example scenarios showing why a parent might have been declared unfit and how they could prove they have changed.

Parent was addicted to drugs or alcohol: Completing a substance abuse program and joining a support group such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous can provide excellent evidence that a parent has conquered the substance abuse issues that previously interfered with their ability to parent their children. Compliance with drug testing would also be helpful.

Parent was unable to provide a safe, stable home environment: Sometimes parents are denied custody because they don’t have a safe place for their children to stay. Maybe they are homeless or maybe they live with another individual who is involved in criminal activity, addicted to drugs, or abusive. It may be necessary to have a social worker visit to confirm that you have moved to a better living situation.

Parent was involved in criminal activity or incarcerated: Successful completion of a criminal sentence including all the terms of probation, as well as staying out of trouble for a significant period of time, can help prove that you have paid your debt to society and are not going to be a bad influence on your children. In general, the court mainly concerns itself only with criminal activities that are relevant to parenting.

Parent was too ill to care for the child: Securing a clean bill of mental and/or physical health should prove that you deserve more contact with and responsibility for your children.

Get Started Now

You can contact the Law Offices of Torrence L. Howell right now for a free consultation to help determine if you are a good candidate for requesting modifications to your child custody and visitation agreements.


Case Evaluation

Tell us about your case.

default image

My ex-wife hired an attorney which prompted me to do so for our divorce. Torrence Howell was highly recommended from a friend of mine who used Torrence’s services for a divorce just like mine. The results came out much better than he ever thought it would. With all things being equal I felt Torrence would

-Anonymous May 23, 2018

Google Plus Facebook Avvo