1365 West Foothill Boulevard Suite 2
Upland, CA 91786
Phone: (909) 920-0908
Call Today (909) 920-0908

We provide legal services
in the following areas

Law Offices of Torrence L. Howell - Providing Over 20 Years of Industry Leading Experience in Family Law, Business Law and Criminal Law
Area of Practices

Can You Change Your Child Support Payment Amount? The Answer May Surprise You

Can You Change Your Child Support Payment Amount? The Answer May Surprise You

If you’ve been through a divorce and you and your former spouse had a child, then it’s likely that a certain amount of child support was part of that divorce settlement. This is rarely a surprise, as most divorcing parents understand that child support is part of the divorce process. In most cases, the amount settled on is as far as possible to both parties.

However, in many cases, months or even years down the line, circumstances are significantly different. The paying parent may have seen their income significantly increase or decrease, or the custodial parent may no longer have as much of a need for it. Too often, parents assume that there’s nothing they can do. After all, the judge either decided or approved the child support amounts. The truth is that, depending on the circumstances, it may in fact be possible to get child support modifications.

The easiest option is to simply talk it out

If there’s a reason that you believe child support amounts should be modified, then the first step is to try and talk to the other parent about it. If you can make a case, and they agree with it, then you can simply have an attorney create a support order adjustment, sign it, and have the judge approve it. This is both the easiest and least expensive way to make changes.

You can make an official request for child support modification

Of course, no all ex-spouses are able to simply sit down and talk out these changes. For parents in that position, you may need to file an official request to modify your child support. The judge isn’t going to just rubber stamp any adjustment or modification that comes across their desk. State laws allow them to approve modification of support for issues including an adjustment to custody or visitation, changes in income, incarceration, job loss, and changes in the child’s needs.

You need a qualified attorney on your side

Regardless of your case, you need an experienced family law attorney on your side. If you’re the parent who’s paying and you’ve lost your job or have seen a decrease in income, and you simply can’t afford to pay your full child support amount, don’t just stop paying it – contact us and see if we can help you get a modification.

On the other hand, if you’re a parent whose child’s costs have gone up significantly and the child support agreed to months or years ago no longer cuts it, then it may be best to request a modification as well.

Either way, the first step is to talk to a qualified attorney. You’ve found just that in Law Offices of Torrence L. Howell at (909) 920-0908. Reach out to us today and let us know what your situation is. We’ll start you off with a free case evaluation during which we can tell you the basics of your options.


Case Evaluation

Tell us about your case.

default image

My ex-wife hired an attorney which prompted me to do so for our divorce. Torrence Howell was highly recommended from a friend of mine who used Torrence’s services for a divorce just like mine. The results came out much better than he ever thought it would. With all things being equal I felt Torrence would

-Anonymous May 23, 2018

Google Plus Facebook Avvo